Loca Loca Loca...That's Me!

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Bus Stop Ovservation

Why do old Latin people feel the need to pray for me? Or sing me hymns like I need extra help in the salvation department. Of course, I ask this rhetorically since I basically know the answer. It's the
tattoos and/or my style of dress. They associate my body art and somewhat revealing attire with a wanton lascivious lifestyle. I am certain, that if any if these people found out that I am an Ordained
Minister that takes that title to heart and tries my best to offer guidance and assistance to all who come seeking it, and that I pride myself in the fact that I live a life of service to others, they would be shocked. That is if they believed me at all. While I admit I am no saint ( I never suggested I was mind you) I will say that I don't kill kittens on my free time or snort lines of coke off the backsides of male strippers. What saddens me the most about the stares and grumbled prayers or the pitiful glance and hymn combo the woman next to me in the bus stop just gave me is not that they
want to share their beliefs with me. I welcome any blessings that are born of true affection and a desire to share. It's more about the judgment and assumptions that come with the glances. They never ask about me, my life, my beliefs or practices. They just make a rush judgment that puts THEM in line ahead of me at the pearly gates.

I have only this to say, I hope they are right. I hope that judging strangers, dismissing anyone that shows any form of individuality or thinking that you are better because of your lack of body art and ultra modest clothing choices works out for you. I hope that all that time you spend grumbling prayers and singing hymns, not from a place of love and glory but from a place of judgment, proves useful.

I, on the other hand, am going to spend my time reaching out to those different than myself and learning from them, teaching what I can and living my life now, serving, loving and believing that it's our differences that connect us, curiosity challenges us to step outside of our lives and try on otherness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home